All the fast guys have a method to confirm the spring rate of their springs on a constant basis. Springs do wear out! Usually, you have a car which was very good but under same conditions at a race it does something that makes you wonder what happened. After checking setup, transmission, radio settings, motor, ESC, nothing obvious shows up until you find a spring down 25% compared to what it was. Problem solved!
Click HERE for how we use it and more pictures of the entire tester assembled. Read below for more details!
There are plastic test stand models available now for about $100 (check eBay); they are small and light and do OK at watching your spring rates. But here in the shop I have a heavier unit which also can be used in other ways! See below!
Complete Spring Tester Kit I supply includes all the parts below (assembly required):
- Metal Drill Stand
- Rocket Products Spring Adapter (RP-5000)
- Digital Electronic Scales (Reads to 11 Pounds)
Adapter Only option includes only the adapter (RP-5000) to use with the drill rig and scales; they may be one in a variety of colors I have in my 3D printer, but I make that choice to send you! This is a great option if you want to 'roll your own' tester and save some money in the process.
Do you want to do your own? Here is where I source the big parts. Buy the adapter from me (RP-5000):
- Drill Holding Stand - These are marketed by many companies but seem to come from a single Chinese manufacturer. Search on Amazon for 'drill stand for electric drill' and you will see brands such as MAOPINER, YaeKoo, LuckyHigh, etc. (these names change, but look at the picture to confirm model, see below). They are around $25. You do not need the optional holder shown (hung on side in picture). This option will not be in the kit I send you if you buy the complete kit from me. They all require some minor assembly, but a hex drive is included (you will need to supply a Phillips screwdriver for one screw).
- A digital scale works very well. I have been buying from Amazon the
'Amazon Basics Stainless Steel Digital Kitchen Scale with LCD Display, Batteries Included' model (copy into Amazon search). About $10, weighs to 11 pounds. May not want to use in the kitchen if it has been elsewhere!
3. It comes with a hex tool for most of the fasteners, you will need to supply a #3 Phillips driver for one screw. The build quality of the stand varies; be prepared to do some filing of sharp corners and maybe a little sanding. Some users have replaced the main spring and shortened the arm to allow finer control during spring testing but is not necessary. Do not change the spring or shorten handle if you may want to use it as a drill press at some point!
4. The digital scales come with AAA batteries, just install and press the power button. The scales' feet will fit in the diagonal holes (with display pointing away from the pole and towards you when you are looking at it) in the drill base for a level scale surface. Level the drill base on the surface of your bench.
5. Now all you need is the adapter from me, and you have a complete, rugged, spring tester for less than $50 if you do the leg work! Or buy the complete kit I have in stock; I have done the work for you!
6. Getting warranty for the metal drill stand and scales is a little problematic since you will not be buying the pieces (except the RP-5000 adapter) directly from Amazon. I will make sure the complete kit has all the parts, and the scale works before I ship. BUT returning any of the assemblies to me for credit/return (except the RP-5000 adapter) will take a lot of time and will not be accepted for return if anything was modified.